Long-time exposure to mold can lead to many dangerous symptoms such as coughing, rashes, red eyes, shortness of breath, wheezing and runny nose. However, there is still few million homes in U.S. that have mold issues and they are not taking any steps to prevent it from further growing. If are one of those homes and you want to know how to properly prevent it from growing, then carefully read through this article.
This is the first step you need to take before you do anything else. Finding mold in your home can be a little tricky, but if you know where to look at it can be quite simple. One thing that you need to know about mold is that it will only grow in areas that have moisture, without moisture mold cannot grow. Knowing this, you need to look at places that are most likely to trap moisture because if moisture is present then there is a high chance of mold growth. Try focusing on areas like showers, basements, roof leaks or AC vents those are just some of the areas that are most likely to have trapped moisture. If you do that and inspect your home regularly you will significantly decrease the chances of mold growth.
Knowing that mold won’t grow if there is no moisture you need to keep your home as dry as you possibly can. If you have a leak in your roof you should repair it immediately and dry out the wet surface. Another great tip is to dry the floor and walls after a shower immediately because after shower a huge amount of moisture will be trapped. One great way to prevent mold growth is to ventilate your home regularly. If you have a good ventilation system in the bathroom you will be probably safe from mold because the bathroom will not retain moisture. Humidity is something that you need to look out for because if the indoor humidity is above 60% there are high chances that mold has started to grow in your home. There are several ways you can check the indoor humidity like the condensation on windows or you can invest in humidity meter that will show you the exact percentage of moisture in the air.
If you don’t want to inspect your home on your own, then the perfect solution for you will be to hire professionals to do it for you. They can do a far better and detailed inspection than you because they have special equipment for mold detection. It is a small and affordable investment that is worth in the long run.
Let’s say you had a mold problem and you have successfully removed it from your home, you still have to take some steps to prevent it from returning. If you don’t take these necessary steps, there can be a chance that mold will start growing again in your home. We don’t recommend removing molds by yourself because you probably don’t have the proper gear to protect yourself and the equipment to properly and safely remove it. However, if you still want to do it by yourself then here are some tips that can help you along the way.
If you want to properly prevent the mold from returning the best option you have is to create a negative pressure when removing the mold. Negative pressure is important because it is the only way the air in the room can be clean of any mold spores. It is very simple to create a negative pressure in a room all you need is an exhaust fan. Place the exhaust fan in a way so it can blow the air from the room through the window. Using this method, you should get rid of all the spores that are in the air. Also, proper ventilation is necessary if you want to remove the mold by yourself because you will be probably using chemical solutions like bleach to remove it.
If you are determined to remove it yourself then you will need some protective gear that will protect your eyes hands and longs from the mold after all your health is the most important. If you have an allergic reaction, we strongly suggest that you stay away from the mold as far as you can and under no circumstance you should try to remove it by yourself. Filter mask is a must have equipment when you are removing mold because you don’t want to inhale the spores from the air. Goggles and gloves are important because they protect your eyes and your hands from direct contact with the mold. You can also buy a body suit that protects your whole body, but the suit is optional. If you are working with bleach to remove the mold you need to have your gloves on at all times, but there are some other solutions you can use to terminate mold like vinegar, borax or ammonia. The important thing you need to remember when working with highly toxic solutions is to ventilate the room.